Public holidays in Malta 2016
Things To Do In Malta, Easter In Malta,
Facts About Malta, Fun In Malta
Public holidays in Malta 2016 brings you facts about Malta guiding you to plan your holidays with us.
Malta has five National Holidays, 31st March, 7th June, 8th September, 21st September and 13th December.
Business is as usual in all other public holidays listed below.
According to Maltese law, the Maltese flag has to be flown on all public buildings during the five National Holidays.
All Public Holidays are related to religious festivities or political milestones.
The most celebrated holiday is Christmas like most other countries.
Palm Sunday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday are always celebrated between March and April of each year.
Maltese Easter processions
All Public and National Holidays
are a time of feasting and merry making especially if the feast of the village
is celebrated on that day.
General information and tips can
be seen on Malta Public Holidays.
Public holidays in Malta 2016
- 1st January – L-Ewwel tas-Sena - New Years’s Day (Public holiday)
- Saturday 19th March – San Ġuzepp - Feast of St. Joseph (Public and religious holiday)
- Thursday 31st March – Jum Il-Ħelsien - Freedom Day (National holiday); Anniversary of the withdrawal of British Troops from Malta
- Good Friday 25th March - Il-Ġimgħa l-Kbira - (Public and religious holiday)
- Sunday 1st May – Jum il-Ħaddiem – Labour Day (Public holiday)
- Tuesday 7th June – Sette Giugno (National holiday); Commemorating the killing of four rioters by British troops in 1919
- Thursday 8th September – Jum il-Vitorja – Feast of Our Lady of
Victories (National and religious holiday)
- Wednesday 21st September – Jum l-Indipendenza - Independence Day
(National holiday); Malta gained its independence from Britain in 1964
- Tuesday 13th December – Jum ir-Repubblika - Republic Day (National holiday); Malta became a Republic in 1974
- Sunday 25th December – Il-Milied - Christmas Day (Public and religious holiday)
Activities in Malta for:
January | February | March
Yearly village feast days calendar: 2016
Feasts and customs for 2016
- Sunday 3rd January – Epiphany,
- Friday 5th February to 9th February - Carnival
- Sunday 14th February – Valentine
- Wednesday 10th February - Ash
- Lent Sundays - 1st - 14th, 2nd - 21st, 3rd - 28th February, 4th - 6th, 5th - 13th March
- Thursday 17th March - St. Patrick's day
- Sunday 20th March - Palm Sunday
- Sunday 27th March - Easter Sunday
- Monday 28th March – Bank holiday
- Sunday 8th May - Mothers day
- Sunday 19th June - Father’s day
- Saturday 31st October - Halloween
- Tuesday 1st November - All Saints’ day
- Wednesday 2nd November - All Souls’ day
- Sunday 27th November - First advent
- Sunday 4th December - Second advent
- Sunday 11th December - Third advent
- Sunday 18th December - Forth advent
- Monday 26th December - Bank holiday
Public holidays in Malta 2016 is a user friendly tourist information helping you to know our everyday way of life.
Travel & Weather Information