malta travel advice
thinking of coming to malta? read this before visiting
Date Last Updated: 2nd May 2022
Many people are asking for Malta travel advice as they are thinking of travelling to Malta.
We put together the most common questions people are asking and we answered them and also added links to necessary websites for more information.
Always make sure you have the right information before travelling anywhere, whether it is restrictions, quarantine, testing, vaccination. This page is only for generic queries.
Disclaimer: On our website, you will find affiliate links from which we make a small commission.
What are the restrictions in Malta?
- Masks are only obligatory in Hospitals, Elderly Care Homes and on flights. NO masks are required in other establishments.
- Social distancing is still essential.
- No Passenger Locator Form is necessary anymore to come to Malta
- Limited people are allowed to enter certain shops.
- No primary contacts need to quarantine unless they have symptoms.
Is quarantine mandatory?
- It all depends from where you are travelling. If you are travelling to Malta for a short time, and you have to end up doing quarantine, it is not recommended to visit. See the current red, amber and green list.
- If an individual enters the country without a valid vaccination certificate, they will be subject to a 14-day mandatory quarantine period. In addition they will need to provide proof that they have submitted a negative PCR test within 72 hours prior to arriving in Malta.
- For more information regarding this question you can have a look at Malta International Airport arrival notices.
What do I need to bring and do to visit Malta?
- All the information about your holiday in Malta can be found here.
Is it safe to be in Malta?
- In our opinion yes it is safe to be in Malta. It is obviously your choice whether you want to visit or not. You will be visiting at your own risk.
What is the current situation in Malta?
- Cases are up and down everyday.
Is Malta closed for tourism?
- Travelling to Malta for a holiday is still possible, but there are restrictions while on the islands.
Important numbers in Malta
- 111 - present help line on health and safety measures for any travellers or citizens of Malta. Phone this number to ask about your questions.
- +356 2204 2200 - this number can be called for consular issues. This number leads you to the Situation Centre at the Ministry for Foreign and European Affairs.
Is Malta International airport open?
What should I do if I want to cancel my flight?
- The best thing is to contact your airline as they will be able to provide you the best information about your query.
- Also if you have any additional questions regarding the safety of travelling by plane to Malta, they can also answer you.
What are the countries on malta's Red, Amber and Green list?
- To view the latest countries on Malta's list, click here.
Whom should I contact for further information to travel to Malta?
- If you always want more information about specific details for your travel, it is best you contact the Maltese embassy in your country, or your countries embassy in Malta.
What does MIA say about your safety at Malta airport while leaving or coming into Malta?
- Malta International Airport are taking very serious precautions to ensure the safety of all passengers coming and leaving Malta and also all the staff working at the airport. Click here to see their full report of questions
What are the restriction on airlines flying in and out of Malta?
Can I go and eat at restaurants?
- Yes you can. Officially there are no restrictions in restaurants. The only thing is that you must have a mask to enter a restaurant and it can be removed when seated.
Are Malta village feasts taking place in 2022?
Can I use Public transport?
- Public transport is available as usual. Necessary precautions are being taken while on the bus. Masks must be worn at all times. It is recommended to leave distance from another person when sitting on the bus.
Enjoy this page? Share It On Social Media!
want to rent a car in malta?
We have used Discover Cars every time we rented a car. We highly recommend them due to their good service and good prices.
Book your car now!
need to book a hotel for your malta visit?
Using Booking.com, enter your travel dates and number of occupants then rates will be available for hotels and apartment during your visit in Malta
See Malta Hotels on Booking.com
By Albert and Benjamin Magro