Ghajn Tuffieha Malta is located on the north western side of Malta. It is also referred to as Riviera Martinique or Riviera for short by many of its regular visitors. It is a very popular bay but less frequented than Golden Bay.
This bay is flanked by Golden Bay on one side and Gnejna Bay on the other.
However high rock peninsula formations create a complete separation between the three bays making each one separate and allowing it its own unique character.
Ghajn Tuffieha Malta is a secluded area where people go for tranquility. The sand has a reddish colour very similar to that of Golden Bay. Furthermore, the beach has a backdrop of greenery with acacia, samphire and tamarisk trees sloping up to the top of the hill.
The area is still unspoilt and protected by law. It is in fact under the care of the Gaia Foundation which is also responsible for the upkeep of this Blue Flag bay.
Access to the beach is down a 200 steps. Climbing back up can be tiring for those not in the habit of engaging in physical exertion, and it would be advisable to avoid the long climb in the afternoon heat.
The surrounding environment makes the beach very attractive. There is nothing to interfere with the serenity of the area since it is enclosed with high rocks all around. Watching the sun set from the beach is highly recommended.
Malta Tours Best Sellers
Ghajn Tuffieha Malta is also very popular with families as there is ample sand for children to play with. The sea depth is similar to that of Golden Bay. Initially it is low but then quickly gets deeper. The sandy beach area is expansive and there is plenty of space where one can enjoy a game of frisbee.
One needs to be aware of under water currents. A life line is provided for safety, but one has to be careful. Being a Blue Flag beach there is the advantage of a life guard available every day during the peak summer months.
This area is also popular with para gliders and occasionally one can see them gliding out from the high ridges at the back of the bay.
Ghajn Tuffieha Malta Beach Quality
- Blue Flag certified beach.
- Two Kiosks are available at this beach, the first is located at the car park at the top of the stairs.
- Riviera Martinique Lido is at the side of the beach offering a range of food and drinks, as well as renting out deckchairs and umbrellas.
- Getting there by car is very easy.
- A tourist map of Malta will guide your way to this beach.
- Follow the signs up to Bugibba main arterial road.
- On arriving at a large roundabout, follow the road signs to Cirkewwa and Mellieha.
- Proceed along this main road which overlooks St. Paul’s Bay.
- At the next roundabout look out for the sign for Ghajn Tuffieha and Golden Bay.
- Proceed all the way.
- These two bays are adjacent to each other.
- The signs will help you get here.
By Public Transport:
- Ghajn Tuffieha Malta Bus Route: 44, 101, 223, 225
- From Valletta: 44
- For more beach routes click here
- Cars can be parked in the large area reserved for parking at the top of the stairs.
- Parking is free but since there is an official car parking attendant he expects to be tipped.
The Most Popular Tourist Attractions Malta Offers
- The sea might be a bit rough at times.
- There are safety lines installed from June to October and maintained by the Gaia Foundation.
- These are very popular with the bathers who frequent the bay. Coloured flags also indicate the sea conditions.
Persons With Less mobility
- Wheelchair ramps are not available since the beach is surrounded by sloping ground and the beach is only accessible via stairs.
- Public toilets are not available but the restaurant toilet facilities can be used.
- Renting of beach furniture from the Riviera Martinique restaurant. You can also bring your own.
- Bar-b-ques are allowed on the beach but the area is restricted.
- It is recommended to minimise any spillage on the sand.
- Charcoal bins are provided.
Ghajn Tuffieha Campsite
- No one can erect a camp on the sandy beach.
- Manikata village is very close.
- St. Paul’s Bay is further back through the same road coming here.
Hotels in the Vicinity of the Beach
Ghajn Tuffieha Tower:
- The Ghajn Tuffieha Tower was constructed under the reign of Grand Master Juan de Lascaris-Castellar.
- This is one of the seven coastal towers built in the period 1637 to 1640 and is located on the edge of the peninsula between Golden Bay and Ghajn Tuffieha Bay.
- This was past of the defense strategy established by the Knights of Malta which also included coastal batteries in various areas which were vulnerable.
- It is accessible from the end of the bay’s car park.
- Do not miss the view from this location.
- The Knights of Malta had a defense strategy with other several coastal towers and coastal batteries.
Ancient Roman Baths:
- The Għajn Tuffieha Roman Baths comprises a number of rooms.
- These show it had the same characteristics of a Roman bath formation with all the necessary amenities.
- Located beside a natural spring for a continuous flow of fresh and abundant water supply, it is surrounded with a wall and normally closed to the public.
- The rooms are decorated with formidable small marble coloured roman mosaic.
- Enjoy your day at Ghajn Tuffieha Malta Bay.