During these last years Malta has adopted the Blue Flag beaches (BF). This is a standard of quality for the beaches to provide a first quality service to all Maltese and tourists alike. Everyone can benefit from the good use of the coast and at the same time respecting the natural environment of the beach.
The Blue Flag Program is owned and run by the Foundation for Environment Education (FEE) based in Denmark. The BF for 2019 has been awarded to 4558 beaches and marinas in 44 countries across Europe, South Africa, Morocco, Tunisia, New Zealand, Brazil, Canada and the Caribbean.
It adopts a sustainable development of beaches and marinas through strict criteria with water quality, environment education and information, environment management and safety apart from other services.
To achieve a Blue Flag (BF) award the beach has to satisfy all of the set BF criteria.
The Malta Tourist Authority is responsible for the beach management of the Blue Flag international Criteria for Malta and Gozo
The Blue Flag Program was started in 2006 and this year in 2018 Malta and Gozo have twelve BF beaches. The award is only valid for one year and the requirements have to be met again the following year.
The following criteria are provided for each beach between mid-June to September of each year for eight hours everyday all week.
The Services Provided
- Qualified lifeguards posted in lifeguard shaded platform
- First aid personnel and clinic room
- Experienced beach supervisors
- Flag pole and safety flag system
- On-site beach cleaners
- Notice board with code of conduct and ecology boards
- Waste separation rubbish bins, beach ashtrays and collection of waste
- Bridges and ladders to facilitate swimmers and walkways
- Separate male, female and disabled toilet cabinets
- Swimmer zones perimeter for safety of swimmers
Beaches Awarded The Blue Flag For 2019
For this year Malta has been awarded nine quality flags for its efforts in the sustainable management of beaches.
Twelve beaches qualified to the Blue Flag international status.
- Buġibba Perched Beach, Bugibba
- Fond Ghadir, Sliema
- Ghadira Bay, Mellieha (Wheel chair accessible)
- Golden Bay, Ghajn Tuffieha (Wheel chair accessible)
- Med-bar & Reef Club, Westin Dragonara Resort, St. Julian's
- Island Edge Beach, Paradise Bay Hotel, Cirkewwa
- Qawra Point Rocky Beach, Qawra
- Riviera Martinique Bay, Ghajn Tuffieha
- St. George’s Bay, St. Julian’s (Wheel chair accessible)
The Most Popular Tourist Attractions Malta Offers
- Hondoq Ir-Rummien Bay, Qala
- Marsalforn Bay, Marsalforn
- Ramla l-Hamra Bay, Xaghra
Blue Flag Beaches in Malta and Gozo are there to be enjoyed by all.