Mellieha bay, also known as Ghadira bay, is the largest and most popular Malta beach. It is situated in the north of the island along the main road leading to the Gozo Ferry Terminal. Ghadira bay is named after the Mellieha village which is very close by upon the hill.
The sea is shallow for a long stretch along the beach. The average level is fifteen to sixty centemetres all depending to the daily natural currents. This offers many possibilities for many to entertain themselves relaxing or playing in the shallow waters.
Further out the sea starts to get deeper and one can enjoy a well deserved swim, although it is recommended that one remains within the designated swimmer zones.
Mellieha bay is our favorite beach too. I have come here with my family since I was very young. We used to come for the day with other relatives from early morning staying till late evening.
As children we would enjoy ourselves swimming, building sand castles and eating ice creams. On the other hand the adults would enjoy the opportunity just to relax, enjoy the sea and indulge in a bit of sunbathing.
This beach is ideal for children since there are no underwater currents and the shallow water extends well out giving the children a very safe space where to swim and play. Depending on the sea current, there are areas with barely ten centimeters of water, ideal for young children to play even running in the shallow sea.
The Most Popular Tourist Attractions Malta Offers
One can rent sunbeds and umbrellas as well as enjoy the water sports facilities on offer, like paddle boats, canoes, jet skis, etc. There are several beach based outlets offering food and drink as well as delicious ice-creams. Relaxing at the beach is very popular amongst us Maltese as its a chance to get away from it all after a stressful week at work.
Mellieha bay Malta tends to be very crowded on the weekend during the peak summer months from mid - June to beginning September.
- Blue Flag Program.
- There are four kiosks which serve a variety of snacks ranging from burgers, hot dogs and chips to the traditional Maltese ftira – fresh Maltese bread filled with tuna, olives and tomatoes.
- It is important to get to Mellieha by bus and proceed all through until you reach the beach.
- It is served well with ongoing buses since the road is the route to the Gozo Ferry at Cirkewwa.
- For Mellieha buses click here
- During peak summer weekends the buses tend to be fairly full so you have to plan beforehand to catch the bus if you need to go somewhere else.
To Bay: 41, 42, 49, 101, 221, 222, 250, X1, X1B
To Valletta: 41, 42, 49
- The beach is along the main road from Mellieha Bay to Cirkewwa Gozo Ferry Terminal.
- On both sides of this road there is ample parking along this stretch of road.
- The parking is free of charge.
- Though it will be important to arrive early to find parking especially -during summer weekends.
- It is advisable to be careful to cross the road after having parked the car along the main road.
Persons With Disability
- Wheelchair ramps are provided along the beach.
- One has to look for them but they are usually located near the stairs leading from the promenade down to the beach.
- A variety of water sports are available along the beach.
- One can book on the spot from the local beach facilities or mobile kiosks.
- The beach facilities do offer toilet facilities.
- Apart from these there are two public toilets, one on the first section of the beach and the other at the far end beside the last beach facility.
- There are no underwater currents.
- You can bring your own umbrella and chairs to the beach.
- They are not allowed on the beach, only in designated areas.
- A permit has to be sought from the Mellieha local council days before.
- Bins are provided for the littering of charcoal.
- Erection of tents is not permitted.
Renting & Area Food & Drink
- Various beach lidos and mobile food kiosks along the bay offer food and a variety of locally made ice creams.
- There are several kiosks along the beach for renting beach umbrellas and sunbeds.
- Other kiosks sell drinks and locally flavored and international brand ice creams apart from locally made beach snacks.
- At the far end of the beach, there is a mobile shop parked along the road where you can find the bare necessities like bottled water, fruit, canned food, and other essential things.
- This is ideal for those who are on holiday and not being aware of the local shops locations.
- Paradise Bay, Anchor Bay (Location of Popeye Village), Armier Bay and beside it Little Armier Bay.
- They are located further up the main road leading to the Gozo Ferry Terminal.
- Then there are signs were one can follow to the right beach you wish to visit.
DB Seabank Resort & Spa | Mellieha Bay Hotel | Mellieha Holiday Centre
All three hotels are located along and close to the beach. They offer their own beach facilities apart from their food and drink services.
Surely you can choose a Mellieha hotel an apartment or a guesthouse at Mellieha village:
- Maritim Antonine Hotel & Spa
- Panorama Hotel
- Pergola Club Hotel & Spa
- Solana Hotel & Spa
- Splendid Guesthouse
- Bella Vista Apartments
Leaving Ghadira Bay road to the Gozo Ferry Terminal there are three hotels enjoying fantastic views.
- Paradise Bay Resort Hotel, Cirkewwa
- Riviera Resort & Spa, Marfa
- Ramla Bay Resort, Marfa
They all have a direct view of Gozo and Comino islands.
Other Facilities Around the Mellieha bay Malta
Popeye Village Fun Park
It was developed for the Film Set of 1980 Musical Production Popeye to a major tourist attraction.
It is located on the other side of Mellieha Bay at Anchor bay.
Adventure Campsite, Ahrax, Limits of Melllieha. It is the only official campsite for camping, caravan and mobile home part in Malta.
The Red Tower:
The Red Tower or Fort St. Agatha was built by Grand Master Lascaris in 1648. It is located just up hill from Ghadira Bay and has a commanding view over a wide area up to Gozo and Comino up to Mdina.
The aim is to restore a large area of natural habitat providing more protection to birds, insects and other wildlife. Many hundreds of trees have been planted by school children and through public donations.
A fresh water haven for migrating birds is located at Ghadira Bay beside the main road. It is of ecological importance as it encloses two types of habitats which are very rare in Malta: wetland and saltmarsh. Do not miss a visit to the Mellieha bay bird sanctuary.
Enjoy your time at Mellieha bay Malta.