board the malta to Gozo Ferry
A 25-minute journey to the charming island of Calypso
Date Last Updated: 6th January 2021
Gozo Ferry is the link between the islands of Malta and Gozo. It is a passenger and vehicle service provided all year round including during the night for all weekends and public holidays. The only way to get to Gozo is by ferry.
What You Need to Know About the Malta Ferry to Gozo
Measures being taken on the gozo ferry
- Masks or Visors must be worn at all times while on the boat and in the terminals.
- A fine of €50 is given if you break the above rule.
- Inside the cafeteria, you will find that multiple tables are forbidden to sit at.
- Social distancing is a must.
- You will not be allowed to get on the boat if you do not wear the mask. Checks are being done before you board the ferry.
- If you experience any symptoms or you do not feel well, do not board the ferry.
Gozo Ferry Departure Malta to Gozo
- The ferry operates 365 days a year.
- There are 4 boats in the fleet.
- Trips takes around 25 minutes between the islands.
- You can board the ferry with your car, van, truck, motorbike and rented car.
- A visa or passport or any identification is not required to cross from one island to another.
- No advanced bookings or online bookings is required to go on the boat due to the frequent trips all through the year.
During the summer season the ferry is more frequent while in the night they are less frequent. Before catching the ferry, check the Gozo channel schedule to see what time the next ferry is.
Malta To Gozo Ferry Schedule 2020
To view the latest two way ferry Gozo to Malta schedule click here. This schedule shows you which ferry will be leaving next from both terminals.
Christmas and New Year's Day 2020/21 Schedule trips which will not operate:
- Mgarr Gozo to Cirkewwa Malta: 11:35, 12:00, 12:45, 13:00, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30
- Cirkewwa Malta to Mgarr Gozo: 12:15, 12:45, 13:30, 13:45, 14:15, 14:45, 15:15
Gozo Ferry Fees
On arrival at the Cirkewwa terminal in Malta, you are directed immediately to the queue to board the ferry.
how do I buy Malta Gozo ferry tickets?
- They are bought from Gozo before departing to Malta before getting on the boat.
- No tickets are bought from Malta.
- While in the car you enter the queue at the Mgarr terminal and pay at the ticket booth and proceed to the parking bays ready to embark.
Night Fares start from 20:00 till before the first morning trip between the months of November and March.
Car and Driver
- Standard - €15.70
- Night Fare - €12.80
- Maltese Senior Citizen - €11.05
- Gozo Resident - €8.15
- Gozo Senior Citizens - €6.95
- Standard - €4.65
- Children (3 to 12 years) - €1.15
- Night Fare - €4.05
- Gozo Resident - €1.15
- Senior Citizen - FREE
- Passenger - FREE
- Car & Driver - €8.15
- Senior Citizen - €3.45
- Motorcycle & Rider - €4.65
- Passenger - FREE
- Car & Driver - €11.05
- Motorcycle & Rider - €3.45
- Gozo Senior Citizen Car & Driver - €6.95
- Gozo Senior Citizen Motorcycle & Rider - €3.45
Motorcycle and Rider
- Standard - €8.15
- Night Fare - €6.95
- Maltese Senior Citizens - €3.45
- Gozo Resident - €4.65
- Gozo Senior Citizens - €3.45
Subsidised Commercial Vehicle
- 5.3M to 6.5M - €24.40
- 6.5M to 8M - €36.05
- 8M to 10M - €54.70
- 10M to 12M - €64.00
- 12M to 14M - €76.65
- Over 14M - €89.65
- Surcharge per linear Meter - €2.30
- 5.3M to 6.5M - €27.90
- 6.5M to 8M - €39.55
- 8M to 10M - €58.20
- 10M to 12M - €67.50
- 12M to 14M - €79.15
- Over 14M - €93.15
- Surcharge per linear Meter - €2.30
- 'M' refers to Meters
During your trip you will be tempted to take photos of the numerous scenery occasions around the islands of Comino and Cominotto.
Do not miss the opportunity to visit the Blue Lagoon. Trips depart from Sliema Ferries. Short trips from Cirkewwa and Mgarr harbour.
How To Get To The Harbours
Where Is The malta To gozo Ferry?
The terminal is at the far end of the island being Cirkewwa, passed the village of Mellieha. Travelling time from your hotel may be substantial depending on where you are staying.
If you are coming from the south or the central part of Malta, to get to the terminal you need to pass through most of Malta's main roads and keep following signs.
Car journey duration to Cirkewwa Ferry Terminal:
- St. Paul’s Bay/Bugibba/Qawra area takes around 25 minutes.
- Sliema, St.Julian's, Gzira, Paceville area takes around 50 minutes.
where is the gozo to malta ferry?
The terminal is at Mgarr Gozo, located near the village of Ghajnsielem. To get to the ferry you need to pass from the main road of Gozo called Triq L-Imgarr.
Gozo is very small so from where ever you are on the island, it doesn't take much time to reach the terminal. This always depends on the season and time of day.
malta gozo ferry buses
There is a bus terminus just outside each of the terminals. Various buses go to the terminals.
How to get to the Gozo Channel in Malta by bus:
- Valletta to Cirkewwa: 41, 42
- Malta International Airport to Cirkewwa: X1, X1B
- Buses to Cirkewwa Ferry Terminal: 41, 42, 101, 221, 222, X1, X1A, X1B
How to get from St. Julian's to Gozo ferry:
- Direct Route: 222
- Alternatively you can get a bus to Valletta then catch the 41 or 42 to Cirkewwa terminal.
Bus journey duration to Cirkewwa Ferry Terminal:
- St. Paul’s Bay/Bugibba/Qawra area takes around 30 minutes.
- Sliema, St.Julian's, Gzira, Paceville area takes around 1 hour 15 minutes.
How to get to the Gozo Channel in Gozo by bus:
- Victoria/Rabat to Mgarr Harbour: 301, 303, 323
Taking a Taxi to Gozo Ferry
If you are going to Gozo straight after the airport you can do so by getting a taxi to the ferry that will cost around €30 / £27 / $35. Then you take the ferry and from Gozo Mgarr harbour you take another taxi or public transport.
Gozo Ferry Map
Tips You Should Know Before and When Boarding the Ferry
- You only need a ticket when you board the ferry from Mgarr harbour Gozo. When you board the ferry in Malta you just go straight on the boat.
- If you are a passenger without a vehicle, you need to embark the boat from the passenger terminal. There are signs that will guide you once you enter the terminal.
- You need to wait in a queue before boarding the boat. Gozo channel officials will indicate when it is time to board the boat.
- When you arrive at the terminal with your vehicle or motorbike follow the signs to queue for the ferry.
- You are not allowed to stay in your vehicle, but go upstairs to the lounge area while the boat is travelling between the islands.
- No smoking is allowed when you are in your vehicles before disembarking the ferry. Also engines should be switched off until you start disembarking.
- On special weekends such as Carnival, Christmas, Good Friday to Easter Sunday and Santa Marija weekend the Gozo ferry gets very busy. It is recommended to plan early or take a night ferry.
Gozo Ferry Fleet
All boats have the following in common:
- Number of Passengers: 900
- Boat Type: Double-ended car and passenger ferry
- Length: 85.40 metres
Types of Gozo ferry boats
- M.V. Ta' Pinu: Car Capacity: 72
- M.V. Gaudos: Car Capacity: 72
- M.V. Malita: Car Capacity: 72 and 66 on the hoisted deck.
- M.V. Nikolaos: Car Capacity: 160 | Passenger Count: 650 in Summer and 350 in Winter
What do I find at the Terminal and on the Boat
What facilities are on the boat:
- Cafeteria and a small shop with snacks, soft drinks, magazines and book guides
- Stair/lift leading to the lounge area from the carpark.
- Internal and external seating areas
- All boats are accessible with persons with disability
Facilities you find at Cirkewwa Malta and Mgarr Ferry Terminal Gozo:
- Male, female and Disabled toilets.
- Seating waiting area
- Embarkation and disembarking straight to the ferry
- Bus stop for the Hop-on hop-off.
- Taxis beside the terminal
- Small ferry boat to Comino and Malta with a time schedule
What do I find near the Terminals
If you are a tourist and might be asking what do you find at the Cirkewwa Terminal. What are the thinks you can do and what you might get in need of. If you are going to Gozo keep this page tagged for further reference.
- Paradise Bay Hotel - Just in front of the terminal
- Ramla Bay Resort
- Labranda Riviera Hotel
Amenities you find near Mgarr Gozo terminal:
- Food Mini Market - up the road 5 minutes walk.
- Mgarr police station.
- Extra divers Gozo (beside the Grand Hotel)
- Mgarr tourist services
- Ta' Miema - Supermarket & Houseware
- Zammit Petrol Station
- Marine fuel outlet - located at the edge of the jetty in front of the terminal passenger exit.
Restaurants close to the Gozo ferry within the harbour area:
- Eugene Restaurant
- Tmun - cost to eat
- One 80 Kitchen beside the Mgarr Yacht Marina berths
- Pizza marina restaurant
- Seaview Restaurant
- Bancinu restaurant
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Royal Lady
- Gleneagle Bar
- Huan Yuan Cantonese Restaurant (Chinese)