Scuba Diving Malta
Diving Centres, Sites around the island of Malta and Gozo
Scuba diving Malta sites at Blue Grotto are the East dive and the West
reef and caves. The offshore dive the Um El Farouk artificial reef.
At Ghar Lapsi, a few kilometers away by car you can explore the caves where
it is ideal for new beginners.
All dives can be taken all year round all
depending on weather permitting.
Disclaimer: We have affiliate links on this website where we receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Top Malta Scuba Diving Sites
blue hole gozo
Probably one of the best diving spots on the island. It is a 10 metre wide natural hole overlooking the previously popular Azur Window. You can dive to a maximum depth of around 25m from the surface. While swimming down the crystal blue waters, you will reach a large arch which is around 9 metres high.
Santa Maria Caves Comino
- A popular spot on the island of Comino.
other sites to explore in malta and gozo
Explore around 8 caves that have it own features and beauty spots.
- Um El Faroud
- Crystal Lagoon, Comino
- MV Karwela Wreck in Gozo
- Maltese patrol boat P29
- The Blenheim Bomber wreck in Malta
- Reqqa Reef in Gozo
- Inland Sea, the tunnel towards open sea
- The Rozi Tugboat Dive in Cirkewwa
Scuba Diving Malta Centres
- Abyss Diving Club: Dolmen Hotel, Qawra | +356 9974 4000 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anchor Diving Malta: Bugibba | +356 2756 7238 | +356 7982 3684 | email@example.com
- Aquatica: St. Paul's Bay | +356 7700 2700 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- AquaVenture: The Waters Edge, Mellieħa | +356 2152 2141 | +356 2152 2356 | email@example.com
- ATLAM Subaqua Club: Baħar iċ-Ċagħaq | + 356 9949 9101 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bezz Dive Centre: Mellieha | +356 9927 3123 | +356 2152 1999 | email@example.com
- Buddies Dive Cove: Bugibba |+356 2757 6266 |+356 7777 9558 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Concept Scuba Malta: Balluta Bay | +356 9999 4050 | email@example.com
- Corsair Diving: Bugibba | +356 2157 0118 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cresta Dive Centre: St. George's Bay | +356 2137 1459 | +356 9947 5150 | email@example.com
- Dawn Diving Training Academy: Bugibba | +356 7934 0627 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dive Academy Malta: Bugibba | +356 7747 5976 | +356 9949 3673 | email@example.com
- Dive Deep Blue: Bugibba | +356 2158 3946 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dive Malta: St. Julian's | +356 2136 9994 | +356 7952 5308 | email@example.com
- Dive Med: Marsaskala | +356 2163 9981 | +356 9949 4269 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dive on Malta Dive Centre: Bugibba Email:email@example.com
- Dive Systems Ltd: Sliema | +356 2131 9123 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- DiveBase: St. Paul's Bay | +356 7714 1658 | +356 7714 4007 | email@example.com
- Diveshack: Sliema +356 2133 8558 | +356 2132 0594 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Divewise: St. Julian's | +356 2135 6441 | email@example.com
- Extra Divers Malta: Marfa | +356 2125 0220 | +356 7977 7922 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go Dive Malta: Mellieha | +356 2755 0182 | email@example.com
- Lagoon Divers: Gzira | +356 9936 5363 | +356 7936 5363 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mad Shark Diving Centre: St. Paul's Bay | +356 2158 4274 | +356 9924 1872 | email@example.com
- Malta Blue Diving: Sliema | +356 2767 6207 | +356 7934 3245 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maltaqua: St. Paul's Bay | +356 2157 1111 | email@example.com
- New Dimension Scuba: St. Paul's Bay | +356 2134 0511 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Octopus Garden: St. Paul's Bay | +356 2157 8725 | email@example.com
- OK Diving Malta: St. Paul's Bay | +356 9974 0479 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Orangeshark H20 Diving Centres: Ramla bay Resort, Mellieha | +356 2152 1329, +356 7900 1802 | email@example.com
- Orangeshark H20 Diving Centres: Radission Blu Resort & Spa, Golden Bay, Mellieha +356 2356 1950 | +356 7903 0049 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paradise Diving Center: Paradise Bay | +356 2152 4363 | +356 2157 4116 | email@example.com
- Plongee-Malta Dive Centre: St. Paul's Bay | +356 9998 8876 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scientific Scuba Diving Unit: Msida | +356 2340 2272 | email@example.com
- Scuba Life Malta: Mellieha | +356 2152 9030 | +356 7933 9030 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scubatech Diving Centre: St. Paul's Bay | +356 2158 0617 | +356 9949 7619 | email@example.com
- Seashell Dive Centre: Mellieha | +356 2152 1062 | +356 2152 2595 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Starfish Diving: St. George's Bay | +356 2138 2995 | +356 9927 6998 | email@example.com
- Strand Diving: St. Paul's Bay | +356 2157 4502 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subway Scuba Diving School: Bugibba | +356 2157 0354 | +356 2157 2997 | email@example.com
- Watercolours Diving School: Sliema | +356 9982 1829 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waterworld Diving Malta: Qawra | +356 2157 1797 | +356 7926 5674 | email@example.com
Scuba Diving Gozo Centres
- Atlantis Diving: Marsalforn | +356 2219 0000 | +356 7971 0390 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blue Waters Dive Cove: Qala | +356 2156 5626 | +356 7953 6874 | email@example.com
- Bubble Dive Centre: Marsalforn | +356 2702 8299 | +356 9944 8864 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calypso Dive Centre: Marsalforn Bay | +356 2156 1757 | email@example.com
- Comino Dive Centre: San Niklaw Bay, Comino | +356 2134 5671 | +356 7799 3483 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dive Smart Gozo: San Lawrenz | +356 7928 4930 | +356 7928 4701 | email@example.com
- Extra Divers Gozo: Ghajnsielem | +356 2156 3840 | +356 9944 8767 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gaulos Dive Centre: Munxar | +356 7909 3169 | email@example.com
- Gozo Aquasports: Marsalforn | +356 2156 3037 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gozo Technical Diving: Xewkija | +356 7900 9565 | +356 7900 9575 | email@example.com
- Moby Dives: Xlendi | +356 2156 4429 | +356 2155 1616 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nautic Team: Marsalforn | +356 2155 8507 | email@example.com
- Next Dive: Sannat | +356 9982 3326 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scuba Kings: Marsalforn | +356 9923 0788 | email@example.com
- St. Andrew's Divers Cove: Xlendi | +356 2155 1301 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utina Diving College: Xlendi | +356 2155 0514 | +356 7955 0514 | email@example.com
Arriving at the Blue Grotto proceed as much as far down the hill very close to where the boats leave for the caves. After preparing yourself proceed for the dive.
Before entering the water observe for the position of the steel ladder which is usually on the right side of the bay. In bad weather this ladder might come off and s plan your air use to go further in to the slipway and come out.
On the east side of the harbour you enter the water and it is immediately a 35 meter drop. Going further to the left you will see a cliff wall with colourful sponges which can be explored from where you return back the same way. At this point be careful from the Blue Grotto boats going out of the harbour. At the point form where the boats leave you will observe many large boulders where in between observe large fish like Brown Meagers, Grouper and Beam.
For the last part of the dive at the shelve positioned at 9 meters depth you will observe octapus and very brightly small coloured fish.
West reef and caves
On arrival proceed as already instructed in the previous dive.
This dive is very popular and starts with an entry into the water from a small, narrow quay. The position of the steel ladder has to be observed since bad weather usually pulls it off. This will be necessary when you complete the dive and has to return to shore.
On entering the water within the inlet proceed to 10 meters swimming across to the far end of the inlet towards the open sea. Proceed on the west reef to your right. Down to 27 meters on the sandy bottom and follow the natural contours. After a short while you will meet the bell tower cave having three narrow entries where the largest is at 27 meters. Here you can see many Cardinal fish and you can be with another one or two divers inside the cave.
Along the way we meet a variety of
fish namely painted combers, damsel fish, rainbow and turkish wrasse,
saupe, goatfish, scorpion fish may be a seahorse.
exploring this cave proceed to 25 meters where you find another but
larger cave. After exploring this one start going back the same way as
you have come here. Proceed to the steel ladder or slipway as necessary.
Entering the water for the east and west dives
Ghar Lapsi dive
One other Malta scuba diving sites found at Ghar Lapsi located a few kilometers from Blue Grotto. The site is accessible from the sea level inlet. You go down a short steep road and at the side there is a small space where to park and dress up for the dive. At the top of the road beside the restaurants there is an ample public parking area.
This location is great for cave dives and ideal for beginners where you can start your dive either by ladder or by the slipway.
The quiet shallow water at Ghar Lapsi inlet is well frequented by locals and tourists for swimming and it is the perfect location for try dives and for new divers. It is also ideal for those divers that wish to do shallow dives. Here new divers can descend on the reef at around 15 meters. The caves for this area, for the more experienced divers.
with more experience can descend further and discover the natural beauty of the Azur and green water colour reflections especially with the sun rays reflecting
through the entrance around the caves. Ideal for underwater photography while the
sun reflects through the entrance.