Top 10 Things To Do In Gozo
Best Malta Tourist Attractions And Activities
For Your Holiday To Gozo
Top 10 things to do in Gozo while on holiday.
Although Gozo is a small island there are many things to do as holiday attractions and cultural events. It is a small charming idealic Island with places of interest attracting everyone.
If you love architecture and history, there is Rabat (Victoria) as it is also called and the Cittadella further up than Rabat.
If you love swimming the summer months will be ideal to swim at Xlendi, Marsalforn, Ramla l-Hamra with it’s reddish/golden coloured sand or at the many rocky beaches to jump from. Water sports are found at Xlendi and Marsalforn.
Gozo is full of interesting villages and sites to visit
where each has its own unique character and story. These attractions cover
everything from historical sites, natural wonders, villages, churches and countryside.
Take the plunge to come for your Gozo island vacation. The
most attractiveness of the island is the quietness and tranquility. The Gozo
ferry is the link to the island from Cirkewwa Malta.
Cittadella Victoria Rabat
Rabat, also called Victoria, is situated at the centre of Gozo where all the village roads converge to it and is the place where all everyday activities happen. The old Citadel, also called the Cittadella or Kastell (Castle) stands above Rabat at the top of a steep hill visible from almost all the island. Do not miss a visit. An incredible 360 degree view from the top of the fortifications stretching around the picturesque views.
- Ideal for
great memory photos.
- The public transport bus terminus is at the centre of
Rabat and close to the main square. From here there are buses that take you to
all over Gozo.
- All sightseeing buses pass from Rabat main central road.
- The two main shopping malls of Gozo are in the main road
of Rabat and situated along Republic Street. They are Arkadia Commercial Centre
and The Duke Shopping Mall, Tigrija Café.
- Various cafes and restaurants around the central area are
- Other things you can see
are the Gozo museums of Archaeology, Folklore Museum, Gozo Natural Museum and
the Old Prison. The fee is included for all the Cittadella sites.
- We recommend a walk through the new complete renovation
of the Citadel entrance area and the fortifications.
- Walk around the open market at the main square and the
many shops that surround it.
The Azur Window is quite a site to see standing some 50 metres above sea level. It stands very close to two other famous natural landmarks – the Inland Sea, and Dwejra Bay. It is one of the main tourist attractions. They are reached through the San Lawrenz village located up hill. It is Gozo’s iconic arch a spectacular and stunning view located over the sea in Dwejra. It can be seen from the seashore a short walk away from the bus stops and car park.
Some more suggestions...
- You can take photos for lifetime memories and share with your
family and friends.
- The inland sea is the ideal and safe location where you can take
your children to swim in shallow water with pebbles to stand on.
- Very popular for diving in the open Mediterranean sea, swim
through natural caves, underwater corridors, drop off’s with a variety of
natural sea life and various species of fish.
- You can take a boat ride from the inland sea passing through the
natural 80 metres tunnel of the inland sea out to the open Mediterranean blue
- Do remember to take with you good foot wear as there are rock
pools filled with sea water when the sea is rough and the rock face is pointed.
- It is the ideal location to sit and relax no specific area to
stop as selection is endless. Walk and stop and see the evening sunset when the
crowds have left. If you have no car do check the last Public Transport bus
- If you think the hot summer sun will distract you from enjoying
the area, bring with you an umbrella.
- A few stalls are on location for drinks and snacks. A nice
restaurant is at the corner going to the inland sea.
The Blue Lagoon is one of the most beautiful beaches in Malta, situated between the island of Comino and the islet of Cominotto. A long narrow bay between the two islands, lovely cyan colour reflection with sand spread all around. On the side a small sandy beach ideal for children to play. In summer it is pretty crowded but worth the visit with family and friends.
Visited by tourist boats that anchor in the marina-like bay throughout the day (avoid the weekends), the Blue Lagoon will remain empty at night, in fact the island only has an official population of less than four people. This way, these Maltese waters are sure to remain clean and transparent for years to come.
- Snorkeling is very much recommended. Boat cruises do lend
snorkels to the patrons to go round the boat area observing the fish.
- Relaxation on the beach is ideal although in peak summer
it is very crowded. Better try visiting during the week.
- If you have children, they can play safely in the
warm shallow lagoon while the family enjoys the sun.
- If you are a photo lover it is recommended to walk
around and every spot is a different expression of this beautiful location.
- Boat trips from Cirkewwa beside the Gozo Ferry area
or from Mgarr ferry terminal Gozo.
- A walk to the tower and the barracks, and the knights
fortification. Very sunny and take water with you if in summer.
- Walk to the hotel and can eat and relax there. Can use the
swimming pool at a cost.
- Santa Maria sandy beach is a bigger one where it is
not crowded even during summer. You can rent umbrellas and deckchairs. Most of
the boat trips take you to this beach directly.
The island of Gozo is a enriched by the Ggantija temples as
they are the oldest standing stones in the world. They were built between 4,100
and 2,500 BC.
They are made out of
coraline limestone megalithic and weigh 50 tons each. Ggantija temples are surrounded by apses or better known as
circular surroundings. The real truth behind worshiping in this temples are
unknown, but when these temples were excavated, bones and niches in the wall
were found, so sacrificing of animals were included in their religious rituals.
It is the prime Gozo heritage site.
- Public transport buses pass very close to the temples as they are very close to Nadur village.
- There is a recently modern visitor’s centre with an interpretation centre.
- It is suggested to be part of a tour in order to get a full
explanation of the richness of the site.
- Toilet facilities are available at the visitor’s centre.
Marsalforn one of Gozo’s three main fishing village lying between Xaghra and Zebbug. Still today there are fishing boats moored on the side of the bay as evidence of this.
Today it has transformed into a tourist attraction with numerous restaurants along the promenade and surroundings. There are ample areas for swimming, a sandy pebbly beach in the middle of the bay and rocky area to the left of the bay to Santa Marija point which is a very popular swimming and snorkeling areas. In summer many Maltese populate this village especially for holidays with the many tourist arrivals that occupy the hotels and self-catering apartments.
In winter the bay is pleasantly quiet and only the residents remain as the number of tourists and Maltese decrease but still remains a primary site for walks and restaurants. Gozitans enjoy strolling back and forth along the marina.
- Other bays close by but less popular but good for swimming
are Qbajjar and Xwejni.
- Plenty of restaurants along the promenade.
- A few small grocery shops are available for your daily
requirements including some souvenir shops.
- Arriving from the main Rabat road called il-Merzuq. Try and
walk up to see a complete view of Marsalforn. A volcano-like hill a few metres away hosting
a massive 12 metre statue of Christ.
- Various activities are available; 2 wheel rentals, diving
schools and booking of boat trips.
- Do not miss the Gozitan ice cream from the mobile kiosk
- Gozo Museums - Basilica Museum, Cathedral Museum, Folklore Museum, Nature Museum, Archaeology Museum. All located at Rabat (Victoria)
- Gozo Beaches - click here for a complete list and map
- Gozo Restaurants - Site for all restaurants in Gozo click here
- Gozo Cruises - Booking through hotels or from Rabat, Xlendi and Marsalforn outlets
- Gozo Churches - San Gorg Rabat, Ghajnsielem, Nadur, Zebbug
Xlendi attracts many visitors both locals Maltese and tourists. It is a lovely location where you can swim, take a leisure boat, snorkel, sunbathe and diving. Plenty of restaurants along the beach. The location is very quiet and relaxing. Plenty of parking for those who have a rented car.
- Eating at one of the many restaurants along the sea shore.
It is recommended to book before hand in peak season and especially the
- Taste the Gozo ice cream from the Granola shop just very
close to the sea.
- Renting of water sports from the beach area.
- Walk up the staircase on the right side of the beach for
a fantastic view of the bay and surrounding locations.
It is the most popular beach on the island with its shallow sea golden red sand that attracts so many people. Ideal for those who wish to relax in a quiet and colourful environment. Children can play safely. During winter time it is pleasant to have a long walk along the beach where it will be covered all with greenery.
- A wonderful view of the bay can be observed from the panoramic
balcony at the top of the hill arriving by car.
- During the winter period it is more ideal to walk around the
bay and explore the rocky faces on both sides of the bay. Various cultural
attractions are evident in the bay which can make your walk more interesting.
- You can rent umbrellas and deckchairs and have a meal at the
Do not miss a visit to the oldest Xewkija village well known for its majestic Rotunda church.The dome dominates the village and the church is the largest in Gozo. It is situated between Ghajsielem and the capital town Victoria. A Roman Catholic church dedicated to St. John The Baptist. Built by Maltese masons and craftsmen in Maltese stone. The Internal dome diameter is 27 metres, the dome is 75 metres high, its calculated weight is 45000 tonnes. The dome is the worlds third highest unsupported dome.
- A lift takes you to the roof top with formidable views of
all Gozo and many parts of Malta and observe the beauty of this church. It is 360 degree panoramic view of
the island and beyond.
- The village core is very quiet and worth having a walk
If you like seeing a Roman Catholic basilica church we suggest to pay a visit to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Blessed Virgin of Ta’ Pinu in Gharb.
The style is of the Romanesque Revival architecture. It is a centre of pilgrimages an important landmark for Gozitans and Maltese. Surrounded by greenery it is a picturesque view, especially seeing it from afar and gives you an incredible view of its beauty. It is one of the most visited places of worship in Gozo.
- To arrive at the basilica, it is located at 700 metres from the small village of Gharb and four kilometres from Victoria.
- Visitors are requested to wear trousers for men and women
should cover their shoulders.
- Opening time: Monday to Saturday 6:30 to 12:15 and 3:30 to 19:00.
You will see the most important villages and sites. There are two different tours by City Sightseeing Gozo, the red Bus and Gozo Sightseeing the green bus. Explore the island on the hop on hop off, get the best views from the first floor of the bus. Enjoy the ride.
can stop at any location and attractions and hop on again ticket valid for one
day and explore the locations at your leisure.
- Arriving at Mgarr harbour you can get the sightseeing trip
from beside the boat beside the ferry terminal or from any of the stops along
- Buses run every 45 minutes from 9:40 to 15:00.
- Full details of tour click here
Travel & Weather Information
Travel & Weather Information